For nerd-alert-y things from people who have lived on Park Street. Duh.

Friday, February 16, 2007

Origami Polypolyhedra

I decided that the salient features of FIT that I wanted to replicate were the following:
The structure was composed of units that followed the edges of geometric polyhedra;
The structure must be composed of a single type of origami unit;
The structure must contain multiple polyhedra;
The multiple polyhedra must be linked together;
The structure must hold together by folded locks.
I resolved to find all such structure that satisfied these criteria. Because these structures were compounds of polyhedra, I coined the name polypolyhedra to describe them.

These are what our friend George Hart calls Orderly Tangles.

1 comment:

Tony said...

George Hart is in Computer Science here. He took
that picture of me in Venice, and also helped me
build the polyhedra for
Princess of Polytopia.

Park Street

Park Street

Blog Archive